|SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT
Our philosophy is determined by our understanding of
student’s diversities, interests, ability and needs, and by the prevailing
educational concerns of our community, state and nation. We strive to educate the whole person
by promoting social, emotional, and intellectual development within a
departmental setting that is challenging, caring and rewarding. The Social Studies program is designed
to prepare students to be active, informed citizens of their community. It is the aim of the program to develop
in students an appreciation of a free, multicultural society in a world
community, with the ability to frame questions, seek answers and verify
conclusions. Students will be
encouraged to read, interpret and evaluate material in all subjects to develop
their fullest potential.
SOCIAL STUDIES DEPARTMENT CURRICULUM GOALS
- Help the student understand and appreciate the roots,
development, and nature of their American-Western civilization.
- Promotes the students’ appreciation of the great
civilizations and cultural traditions of the past.
- Understand contemporary world problems by studying the
people, societies, and cultures of the past.
- Show the interdependence and interrelationship among
- Gain an appreciation of great human achievements.
- Develop basic social skills and abilities required for
personal success and good citizenship.
- Introduce historical methods to the students through
the use of technology for research, projects and thesis writing.
- Promote critical and analytical thought processes
through the study of civilization.
- Encourage the growth of reading, comprehension, and